The Wood Family, which consists of Ralph Wood Sr., Jr., and III, among others, served a crucial role in 18th and 19th century English pottery. The family transformed Staffordshire pottery into an organized industry producing premier and acclaimed pieces for consumers throughout the country.
At the age of 15, patriarch Ralph Wood Sr. became an apprentice to the renowned John Astbury and learned the craft from him and Thomas Whieldon. The senior Wood’s creations, such as Hudibras and The Vicar and Moses, received recognition for their well-modeled figures and colored glazes. Two of his trademarks include imprinting his name on pieces and designing the first Toby jug.
The Woods catered to customers for nearly a century and continued to offer the latest styles during this period. However, the family’s shop closed in 1846.
About the Author:
As Managing Director of Montauk Capital Markets Group, Berton Hochfeld conducts research into enterprise information technology space. One of Berton Hochfeld’s favorite pastimes involves collecting pre-20th century furniture and ceramics, particularly pieces from Ralph Wood.